Blogs and their self promoting headline act, Twitter, provide an alternative approach to staying up to date. Even YouTube is getting quite a mention with its burgeoning E-Learning video’s – although the quality is not always Oscar level!
There are a number of PM blogs out there eg PMThink! Leading Virtually, (this blog also lists heaps of others), Herding Cats, Effective Software Development, Journyx Project Management, Fear No Project & Project Management Tips. You can subscribe to blogs via RSS feeds and then read in a news reader in Outlook or also applications like GoogleReader.
Project Management Tips is a really good PM related blog. It has a huge number of tips that are actually quite on the mark so far as project management goes. I find entering the PM Tips blog site, a little like the kid in the Chocolate Shop to be honest. So many good things – which to choose ?
One approach is to follow Project Management Tips on Twitter – where the blog’s headlines are “tweeted” by @PMTips, with links back to its PM related blog posts. Other PM Tweeters include @gsanchezs, @pmskills, @thepmtweet, @GanttGuru, @ProjectSmart &@meolesen. You can follow Tweeters with good content via RSS feeds and then read in a news reader in Outlook, or also applications like GoogleReader. Makes it a lot easier to get through them quicker.
Project Management Tips also focus on Communication & Learning in Projects and so there is a big focus on Knowledge Management tools.
Some of my favourite posts (admittedly a long list) from this blog include ..
- PM Fundamentals & Basics
- What if there was no Project Management –revisited -Do We Need a Structure
- Is Good Project Management Really Just Common Sense – Books on PM for Beginners
- Prep for Interviewing Project Managers
- Characteristics of a Project Manager – Pts 1,2, 3, 4 – Honesty – Reputation is a Fragile Thing
- The Difference between Projects and Programmes – Value of Project Management Office – Best Practices and Project Teams
- Kickoff & Exploration : VIP Admission Only
- Effective Communication – Managing the Delivery Team – X-Teams – externally focused
- Project Induction Plan– Brown Bag Sessions at the Start of the Project
- Keeping Team Focused on End Goal
- How Competent Are You – Five Signs You Aren’t Cut Out to be A Project Manager
- Maintaining a Skills Database
- Statement of Work & The Defining of Requirements – Requirements Traceability Matrix – Agile Project Management
- Common Project Issues : R&D – Too much “D” and not enough “R” – Pt1, 2
- The Project Customer & Other Negotiation Issues
- Getting the Customer Involved – Eight Things Your Business Analysts Need to Know
- When the Customer Doesn’t Know What They Want – Dealing with Their UnreasonableExpectations – Keeping Track of Their Complaints –
- What the Customer is Trying to Tell You – Never Say No the Customer
- Is the Customer Your Friend – Project Sponsors What Do They Do ?
- Common Project Issues: Keeping Bad News from the Customer
- When Client Can’t Do UAT – User Acceptance Testing
- Internal Projects : When the Scope Changes
- The Art of Negotiation – Pt 1, 2
- PM Budgets & Challenges
- Learning & Knowledge Management in PM
- Process Innovation Challenge – Lessons Learned – Logging Your Team’s Learnings –Mistakes Matter : Post Project Reviews
- Project Management Tools
- The Project Portal
- 5 Tips for Using Sharepoint as a PMIS – 5 More Tips
- Wikis in Organizations – Sharepoint Wikis – continued
- How Useful is a Wiki in a Project – Getting Your Project Team to Use the Wiki
- How does the MS Wiki Stack Up Against the Competition
- Articles from Here and There – on Wikis in Projects
- Knowledge in Projects – An Introduction to KM- 10 Highly Recommended Books on KM
- Communities of Practice & Knowledge Culture
- The Benefits of KM – basically from a business bottom line perspective
- KM at NASA
- Metrics and Knowledge Management
- Leadership Expectations – on Knowledge Management
- Knowledge Management Framework
- Justifying Your Content Management Investment – continued
- Is technology necessary for Knowledge Management
- Does KM work for you – theZen of Seeing – Knowledge Overload
- Is the Term Knowledge Management misleading
- A Knowledge Management Fable
- KM in the News – Effects of Layoffs
- What’s Next After Knowledge Management
- Email to Manage Your Ideas
- Blogging within Your Organization – Blogging on Enterprise Portals
- YouTube and KM